Pages

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Interview with Dr. Patrick Mbaya, author of My Brain is Out of Control







Although Dr. Patrick Mbaya’s illness caused a lot distress and nearly took his life, the emotional symptoms of the depression he developed helped him understand and empathize with patients and how they feel when they become ill. In My Brain is Out of Control, Mbaya, fifty-five and at the peak of his career, shares a personal story of how he suffered from a brain infection in 2010 that caused loss of speech, right-sided weakness, and subsequent depression. He tells how he also dealt with the antibiotics complications of low white cell count and hepatitis. He narrates his experiences as a patient, the neurological and psychiatric complications he encountered, how he coped, and his journey to recovery. Presenting a personal perspective of Mbaya’s illness from the other side of the bed, My Brain is Out of Control, offers profound insight into battling a serious illness.

THE INTERVIEW

Could you please tell us a little about your book?

I narrate my experience as a patient/doctor (on the other side of the bed), neurological, and psychiatric complications I suffered, how I coped, and my journey to recovery.

Who or what is the inspiration behind this book?

To share my personal following my serious mystery illness, which nearly took my life.

What cause are you most passionate about and why?

I am very passionate about my job as a psychiatrist, to help my patients get better, and improve their life.

Do you have any rituals you follow when you finish a piece of work?

I read it a few times, and make necessary changes to make sure whoever reads it, understand what I have written.

Who has influenced you throughout your writing career?

As my book is about my personal experience following my illness, I have not been influenced by anyone.

What are some of your long term goals?

I would like to help/share my knowledge to people throughout the world with mental health problems like depression by answering questions they want ask on my blog, at my website, www.drpatrickmbaya.com.


Dr. Patrick Mbaya is a medical doctor specializing in psychiatry. He is a consultant psychiatrist and honorary clinical lecturer in psychiatry at the University of Manchester, United Kingdom. He has a special interest in mood and addiction disorders.



No comments:

Post a Comment